View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Ok what is any length of time? I leave my meat to dry in the fridge for a day before smoking. The reason I am asking is that I want to cook the loin (155) so that it can be eaten cold like ham. I also want to do it right, I have been hesitant to brine anything because of the differences I see in recipes, I certainly don't want to poison anyone or give anyone food poisoning.
I have heard of hams that age for 30 days or more. I cant really give you an exact answer for this because I simply don't know the exact conversion rate. It is the cure breaking down into nitrite oxide (?) that does the actual curing. Id have to look in my books because the exact science eludes me right now.

Personally I prefer to wet brine all of my hams and bacon so they can be smoked right away. I just leave them in the fridge overnight to form a pellicle and then smoke them.

Ill send you my recipe as it is really easy to start with and makes a great product.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."