View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
No they do not, both my wife and I purchased vehicles last year and in both cases, they took pictures, bid and sold the vehicles before ours even came in (as both vehicles were ordered). We were able to keep driving them until our new vehicles came in.

In the case of my 2019 Ford F150 - it had over 130km on it and I got $39,000 on trade (albeit there was no discount on the new GMC I bought). That's about $5000 higher compared to what it would have sold for privately at that particular time.

So yes, generally the dealer give you less than private however in some cases it's really a wash (and trying to time a purchase delivery with a sale on a pre-order is tough). Keep in mind the dealer makes on both ends here - so sometimes it's not as rough as one would think. Anytime there's a trade, it's all "fuzzy math" and the "NET" is what you really need to calculate to see where you are really at.
When I ordered my F150, it was my only vehicle, so I either had to keep mine until the new vehicle arrived, and then sell it immediately or finance the new truck until I sold my current truck. My other option, was to sell my truck, and rent a truck until mine came in, when delivery dates were very uncertain. So trading made a lot more sense for my situation , and the dealers were desperate for used trucks, so I did get a good price for my truck. And of course, I had a truck to use, until my new one came in. And when you factor in the GST, I needed to get $2000 more in a private deal, just to break even, more if I had to rent a vehicle , or finance the new truck, so it just wasn't worth dealing with tire kickers and potential scammers, to try and get a bit more.