View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think this thing was spotted before it hit NORAD's defensive parameter off the coast of Alaska (as it crossed in there and down through Canada) and was out in the Pacific somewhere long before it flew over any US or Canadian territory.

Either way, I think they should have blasted (and recovered it) long before it got into the continental US - there are plenty of safe places in Alaska and over BC where they could have dropped it. Then again, maybe they said nothing to study what this stunt was all about before announcing it to the public.

Who knows. Such a strange thing to do. Seems to me it would be obvious this would be viewed as a provocation at the very least. Flying over another countries sovereign territory is clearly offside.
Yeah, weird.

My “non-expert” understanding is that it isn’t necessarily easy to detect these type of aircrafts, those that are slow moving and probably “non-emitting” in this case. This is the reason why Ukrainians were able to hit Sevastopol a couple of times and Russian airbase before Russia “adjusted” it’s air defences; at the same time, Ukrainian fighter jets were shot down, sometimes hundreds of kilometres away from the start. And why we don’t hear about the “bayraktars” (is that how you spell it?) anymore. The same reason Patriots and other US-made air defense units failed miserably some years ago in Saudi Arabia when their oil fields were attacked (was it oilfields? or a refinery and oil storage facilities? I don’t remember, but surely everyone remembers the event?). Likely the same reason that drone was able to fly over a few European countries without being detected before the actual crash.

Edit: Seems crazy, if you think about it, right? The most advanced radars cannot see something, yet a guy can point a finger from the ground and say “Hey, it’s right there!” I am not saying this was the case here, by the way.

Last edited by fishnguy; 02-04-2023 at 11:26 PM.