Thread: Scotch
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Well, we had another fine evening at Vintage Spirits last night at the tasting. It was unusual for me in that virtually everything on the menu was new to me. Some I enjoyed, some I really enjoyed, and a couple were standouts that I would add to my drinking collection at some point. I don't want to review everything, but will mention the two that I particularly liked.

First, the Talisker Port Ruighe. I have always enjoyed the Talisker, the Distiller's Editions were some of my favorites. This ranks up there with them. It's a no age statement release (though I'd guess it in the 8-10 year range, young charicteristics), it has just the right balance between smoke and sweet at about 20 ppm phenols (estimated), 45.8% abv, it is finished in Port casks and has a lovely dark amber color, good legs, and just plain yummy! A bit of brine and mocha, and maybe a bit of orange? I could enjoy a few of these in an evening, a drop of water really opened it up, though it does have a bit of 'bite' to it, not as smooth as the more mature Distiller's Editions as to be expected. Price point is fair at around $110

My evening favorite was a given before we started, as I love the big smoke and peat. We had the Bruichladdich Octomore 7.4 to finish off and at 169 ppm phenols, it has big smoke. This is my favorite of the Octomore range so far, at a cask strength of 61.2! You need to put a BIG drop of water in this one! The nose is very deceiving, you don't get the smoke that the palate does, but it's not a bad thing. The most interesting thing is that even though it is only a 5 yr old, and intensely smokey, it has a lot of complexity and wonderful notes of apricot, honey, cloves, and citrus. Of the Octomores, its is the most 'gentle' on the palate, and the finish is predictably looooong. Really liked this one. Price point at $140 was quite fair imo.

Neither of these came home with me (yet), as the new release of the Laphroaig 'Lore' was on the shelf ($200), and this is one of my favorite distilleries and I had heard rave reviews on it. I did try a healthy dram when I got home, but can't review in fairness as by that point I could have probably been drinking it from a boot and it would have still been lovely! I will get it reviewed in the near future, when I can have a solo sip with it.

Not on the tasting menu, but wanted to also mention, was the newest Glendronach that I got my hooks into (4 bottles worth!). The Glendronach is on the opposite side of the profile universe from where I usually go, but I love them all, they are the dessert of whisky for me. This current lot is a 1995 Single Cask offering (cask #5959 to be precise 692 bottles), 18 years, and finished in Tawny Port pipes. It has a deep amber, almost ruby color, not as much as the 21 year old Sherry, but very nice. Nose is so sweet and light, you get lots of berry notes. On the palate, huge fruit! Raspberry and apple, but also with a bit of a bite of pepper to it. At 53.6% avb, you need to add a good drop of water to this one, and let it breathe and open up a bit. Nose it long! This one is just a delight, with a long sweet finish, and even after the smoke and peat of the Octomore, then the Laphroaig Lore, I still finished off the evening with a small dram of the Glendronach (I had a friend over and we were having an extended tasting)....and it was the perfect finish of sweet. If you can find it, grab it!

Maybe Sunday I'll give the Lore a proper review. Right now, I need to go drink a litre of water. Cheers!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-18-2016 at 11:11 AM.