View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 02:09 AM

I think the confusion is around what does "benching a gun" mean to you?

If you've ever watched a benchrest shooter or an ftr shooter you'd understand where 260 Rem is coming from.

If all you're exposed to is flogging rounds over a pack or truck hood you'll see where Chuck is coming from.

Two separate rest off a prepared bench from a controlled setting is where 260 Rem is coming from. It's great for wringing out that last little bit of accuracy to truely see if "load A" is better than "load B", but in no way is it anything you'll ever do out in the field, it's actually about as far from anything you'll ever do while out in the field(except some gopher fields I'd suspect).

I'm a cross arm shooter while on the bench except for a couple fairly heavy kicking lighter weight sporters I've owned. But in no way is it a definative must do. I've watched fellows like Bushrat and Rugersingle shoot some pretty amazing groups utilizing fore end gripping while on the bench, or even a hand over top of the scope holds as well.

It boils down to doing it the same way every time you do pull the trigger.

Thumb position on the grip must be consistent, pressure into your shoulder must be consistant, forearm of the stock starting the same on the front rest every time. No sling swivel interference on the front or rear rest every time, talcum powder on the front and rear rests to give a consistent slide during recoil, same grip with the same down pressure on the fore end or the scope every time.

And if all you do is shoot from the bench that takes a certain mind set and even for me a lot of trigger time to ease back into the "groove"

It's the same for every aspect of shooting, try getting back to your form shooting unsupported offhand, when it might have been 2 or 3 months without a lot of trigger time, you'll drive yourself bonkers trying to find your "groove" once again.... it frustrates to no end.

My best suggestion is spend more time shooting and less time typing, but alas something's are easier said than done.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 07-24-2017 at 02:27 AM.