View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 06:23 AM

Default "groups" vertical stringing

I've had "bullet groups" result in vertical stringing problems with numerous rifles and have found the problem to be with my set-up.
Controlling front rifle jump reduces vertical stringing.
I've looked closer at my placement of the front bag which should be located rearward as possible so that the front of the rifle is balanced well over the bag.
In my case I use mechanical front rests. The HARRIS bi-pod attaches to the swivel stud so I have no opportunity to choose a different mount location.
I found that leaning into the rifle (loading the bi-pod with shoulder pressure) has really helped as compared to no shoulder pressure.
Problem with the HARRIS bi-pod is that it will slide forward on the bench with too much shoulder pressure so I've clamped a crossbeam to my shooting table that is a stopper for the bi-pod.
In the case of my REMPLE bi-pod, it attaches to an under rail on the forestock allowing me to mount it as far rearward as I want. Much better ....
I'm also reducing the amount of sand in my rear bag as it's too hard and doesn't conform to the bottom of the stock well enough.
Hope my thoughts might help somone else.
-AL