Thread: 2 Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 PM

I got the clam nanook this fall to replace a homemade two man I had for 5 seasons. It's a two seater and have had it out 3 times this season. Paid $330 for it at bass pro and I think it's great. Plenty of room for me and a buddy plus gear. Retains heat very well, and from the time I pick a spot to the time I'm sitting inside about to drill holes is less than 3 mins. The only complaint I have is the extensions on the poles have a plastic pin to lock them in place and they can be a bit finicky. Usually have to take my knife to jimmy one to pop out and lock the pole in place. I actually read reviews before I purchased it that said the same thing. My plan is to just drill them out and use a metal cotter pin. But maybe over the summer. In my outings it's only been an issue once, but can see it happening more often. I didn't want a pop up shelter due to it being just something else to pile into a sled, with chairs as well (more weight to drag). And out of most of the clam type shelters I looked into this was the better price for almost all positive reviews. I'd buy this one again for sure. Light durable, and like I said, it retains heat well ( and I didn't buy the thermal one). The guys are right, the more room the better, but my wife approved the price on this one, and I usually only go with one other and it actually does fit two well. Just go to bass pro or wholesale or whereever they have them set up on display, sit in them, keep in mind how big your heater is and where you would put your other gear and try it out in the store. stretch out, stand up what ever. Good luck!