View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Very cool. Those are quite the adventures!

I keep saying that one day I need to take a month leave of absence and just disappear like that for a while.

I had no idea there were abandoned bases up North. I remember the dew line and the radar stations (we used to skidoo up to one near Pine Lake often)
You should do it, it’s worth it.

I don’t know about other Bases, my father was stationed at this one and worked the Dew Line long before I was ever a twinkle in his eye. He’s passed away now, but he had some good stories. There is one story in particular that I recall about when they shut the base down. MOST of the buildings, equipment, parts, vehicles, etc were all pushed into a hole and buried. Also, some of the Dewline stories about driving bulldozers across frozen rivers stick out in my mind.

Some of the following pics may have been posted before, I’m just looking through some older photos to find pics of what’s left there.

This was supposedly my fathers old Jeep, it’s located very close to where we camp

There is an entire car graveyard in the bush if you know where to look

This thing always seems to be surprised when I show up

This is the house the girls found, it’s a long ways from any other structures, I suspect it was an officer’s dwelling

Remains of another building, this one is close to the airstrip.

The straight line to the binoculars is only half the airstrip, it continues the other way. The Airstrip is freakin huge, it’s getting overgrown but you can still tell how large it was back in the day

RD