View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
You asked for the most efficient big game caliber for all alberta big game based on cost per round/ cost of powder per round. You didn't ask for stopping power or highest KE round for charge weight you asked for most efficient based on powder charge..ie because of rising cost of powder....308/7-08 is king here hands down.

.308 and 7-08 as efficient for ALL Ab big game? You hunt the northwest as do I, and are aware of what a hunter "can" run into there. Saying a .308 and 7-08 are efficient killers of larger predators is just not correct. Capable of killing, maybe, but efficient means recommended for.

.22's have killed large bears but, nobody in their right mind would "recommend" one for the job. Neither do smart hunters reach for either of the two you mentioned when hunting g bears. They're out there. I see lots while elk hunting the Simonette. I prefer to carry a rifle I dont have to "guess" might get the job done if things got nasty. 7-08 and 308 aren't ever going to be on that list.