View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Gave up on campgrounds 20 yrs ago and haven't looked back.

I allways find random spots on crown land wherever I go.

A good friend just camped somewhere around Lake Louise last week, 10 pm the warden comes around and stands there untill your fires out. But screaming kids at 6am are ok, no thanks!

And the new ridiculous booking system insures I'll never go back
I love random camping too, but to get seclusion, you are probably going to have to hike in, and not be in a vehicle.

You can still get the odd sweet little spot pulled off the Trunk Road, but sadly most of the remaining random camping spots at Mcclean, Abraham Lake or Indian Graves are worse than campgrounds. Piles of garbage, toilet paper and faeces strewn around the bush, live trees hacked down and burned and more likely than not, some anti-social yahoos doing donuts or playing music or shooting off fireworks to 3 am. i know, its not everyone, but its enough to spoil it for everyone. Most people would prefer to pay the $30. Could show you stuff that would make you weep.

Its a shame, but I feel that truck-based random camping is probably coming to an end. I don't even blame the government - its a sizable minority people's inability to show some basic respect that means its inevitable.