View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Kyle

Default Alberta

I think that the 2 major problems in Alberta are,

1.) Dumb regulations, I think the limt of fish in Alberta HAS to decrease if the government wants to keep the lakes in half decent shape. 3 pike over 63cm?? thats encouraging people to keep the biggest pike of the day! its nuts. I think what they should have for pike is like 3 under 70cm, and then maybe one a year over 40 inches..incase someone wants to mount a trophy

Another problem with the limits is on stocked trout lakes, nobody needs to keep 5 fish for themselves, thats crazy.

2.) Overstocking of trout lakes, I think our government has to stock less fish into the pothole trout lakes. In so many of these trout ponds you see such potential for big fish, there is so much forage in these ponds its incredible. Scuds,boatmen,chronimids,minnows,leeches,calibeati s nymphs and the list goes on...
What is happening is the government has so many fish going into these little lakes that there isnt enough food for each fish to reach its potential size. I think they need to reduce the fish stocking so that there is less fish, but also bigger fish. When they do reduce number of fish stocked in they also have to reduce number of fish being taken out say 1 or 2 fish per angler. Because of these bigger fish being harvested(over 20 inch) you will get more food from 1 (20+ inch fish) then with 5 (10 inch) trout.

Hopefully this will get mentioned in the meeting