View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
I'd really like to make this trip next fall but getting specific info is difficult. It could be dangerous and I don't want to take any stupid risks. I've PMed the OP to try and get some answers but figure I'll post here too since he hasn't got back to me.

The route as far as I can tell starts at Sunwapta. You can ride a bike from there to the crossing at the Athabasca. I assume you wade across the Athabasca and then hike south until you need to cross the Chaba. For the Chaba you need to wade across but depending on flows might have to use a tube (is that correct?).

For the lake itself it seems like you can only really hike along the north shore about half way and there are a couple primitive camp sites along the way.

On the way back you can just put your tube in the water and float with the current back to the Athabasca crossing, grab your bike and ride back. Right?

In terms of gear, do folks bother bringing tents or just sleeping bags? I'm just trying to figure out how much gear one needs to haul in. I figured the essentials would be as follows:
  • float tube/pack raft
  • waders & fins
  • micro tent
  • sleeping bag good to -20
  • small butane stove
  • dehydrated food packs
  • small metal container for heating water/eating

Is the best time to go in October, or is spring also a reasonable bet too? Is a pack raft preferable to a float tube?

Last question: has anyone ever done this during the winter? The BC Parks website says you can access the lake via ski or snowshoe in the winter. Sounds a bit crazy to me but it would also be an amazing adventure. I'd still wonder how you cross the rivers though. I'd assume they don't freeze well enough to safely cross.
Yes, you start at Sunwapta Falls parking lot, and bike the 15 kms to Athabasca Crossing. It's slightly downhill for the first 7 km, and then basically it's pretty level on a good, wide trail. Once you ford the Athabasca, it's another 8 Km to the east end of Fortress Lake, with the Chaba ford just before you get to the lake. This 8 km section of trail is a lot bumpier and not worth biking if you have a heavy pack or trailer.
I would suggest late May or September to avoid the highest water levels. I've always waded across, except for the time that we helicoptered in canoes. Ice is usually off the lake by the end of May.
I always stayed at the BC Parks cabin, as we were doing work for them, and we used to rent boats/motors from the lodge. I'm pretty sure that is no longer an option.(different owners back then)
You are correct, the trail is only along the north shore, and may go as far as Washout Creek, midway down the lake, across from the lodge.
If you use a pack raft, you could raft all the way back to your bike, or all the way back to Hwy 93 if you didn't bike in.
I have friends that have done the trip in the winter, and there are lots of places that you can ski across the river. It might even be better to ski along the river instead of the trail. You would need an ice auger once you get to the lake. Check the fishing regs, as I haven't fished there in a long time, and am not sure if it is open year round.