View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Hate to burst some peoples bubbles, but Ive fished the Bow in the Calgary area for more than 40 years, with barbs. bet there were far fewer floaters than you could find in any day the last few years, people have to play fish harder and longer to keep them on the hooks with no barbs, no slack and balls to the wall drag. bet it killed a lot more fish than giving them a little slack and letting them rest during the fight with barbs on the hook. I hate the barbless rule, no scientific proof that it helps fish, in fact just the opposite. and if its easier to get a hook out of the fisherman? maybe the fisherman should be a bit more frikkin careful??? just another political move with no legit reasoning behind it. For myself, if I left the barbs on my hooks I would have landed another 30 fish easy just in the last 10 days, so guess what, Im not squishing barbs anymore until and unless they make it illegal legally. dont like it? stay off my sidewalk.
I have to disagree with this. If you're playing the fish harder, wouldn't that make the fighter shorter?

It also seems to me that giving a fish a break in the middle of a fight would be worse for the fish. If you fight a fish steady throughout, you'd get it in sooner, and therefore less time with it fighting to its max and thus spending less energy. If you gave the fish a break, it would be able to rest and be able to fight harder once again, although it wouldn't gain any energy. This would extend the fight and result in more of its energy stores being used up, meaning it would take longer for the fish to recouperate.

Just my opinion. Why do you think it's worse for the fish to play it harder through the entire fight?