View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
A friend is looking for advice on a good guide / outfitter for an Idaho or Montana elk bow hunt. If anyone has firsthand experience to share that would be appreciated. PM if you'd rather not broadcast info. Thx
For this year or future years? Deadline for non-residents to put in for Elk has come and gone here in Montana. When the surplus licenses come available for sale over the counter there may be some left over but no guarantees. I believe that happens in mid August but you may want to double check that date. If you get a tag, just find an outfitter as mentioned. Plenty of elk all over Montana. If you look around Lewistown or White Sulfur Springs they have an over abundance of elk. HD313 used to be a huge trophy elk district but that was back in the 90s. People still want to hunt it like it was back then but while there are some big bulls, the numbers are down. Plus 313 is open to a general tag the first 3 weeks of the season. Last 2 weeks are permit only and that is usually when the big bulls make their appearance. Several outfitters down there although if your not a big tipper, they won't put you on the biggest bulls or take you to the best areas. They'll say different but numerous reports from former clients all sing the same tune...