View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
OK...seriously Muskeg, I don't think you will get an exact number.

You can get an exact number of hunting licence holders if you contact the correct Govt. Dept. in each Province and Territory. Here in the NWT it is the Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR).

This will only take into account the actual licenced hunters.....there is a very large portion of our hunting population that is not required to be licensed that will be impossible to account for.

tm
That information is online, or used to be. But as you said, there are thousands of hunters that do not need licenses. Treaty, Metis, poachers or underage hunters for example.

There is also a host of farmers ext. that own guns but seldom if ever hunt.
They use guns to deal with problem wildlife, some of which are animals others would have to buy a license in order to hunt.

The best one could hope for is a ballpark figure. As I recall, the Trudeau government did the research and came up with a figure of 6 million gun owners. At the time they stated that they believed that the there were a lot more then that.

When Chretien set out to impose gun control on us he claimed that there were only 3 million gun owners in Canada.
I did some research on the subject at that time and found that there had been approximately 3 million hunting licenses sold Canada wide in 1993.
Keep in mind that this figure did not include those who did not have to or would not for whatever reason, buy a license.