View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is not just an ABA thing....all members of AGMAG are responsible in giving input is what I read into this....

LC
How do you figure that Lefty? This is a push by Brent Watson and the ABA who he represents, plain and simple. IF the other members of the AGMAG allow him/them to get away with it then, yes, I will agree with you that they are partly responsible by simply letting it happen. But in my mind, there's absolutely no question whatsoever that Brent Watson and the ABA are the catalyst behind this.

Pardon the editing but I wanted to cut through the BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Brent Watson (bcwatson@telusplanet.net)

This issue popped up a couple of years ago when I had 2 members contact me.....
I chked with the head of enforcement in Alberta Pat Dunford.....
I brought the issue up at an ABA exec mtg June 18 2012 after I raised the question at the AGAMG (Alberta Game Management Advisory Group) mtg in May 2012.

AGMAG mtg (May)

Hunting with spears

Discussion as to issue brought up at AGMAG.

ESRD came back to the May 29 2013 AGMAG meeting and explained how there are no rules concerning using atlatls/spears as well as some other weapons out there (high power air rifles, blow guns, even people wanting to run down and kill game with their bare hands).

This is how it starts. First the spears and atlatls then start chipping away at everything else that the ABA doesn't consider traditional archery equipment! They care about bows, that's it! In their perfect world there'd be no spears, rifles, crossbows or anything else!

From that I/we We? Now that the ABA pushed for it it's a collaborative effort? No, it was an ABA idea! drafted up a change proposal on behalf of the AGMAG stakeholders to have it officially put on the agenda, into the processes for discussion etc.

From May 29 2013 AGMAG Minutes:

· ABA – Make use of spears and atlatls illegal for hunting big game in AB.
ABA

I have personally seen the spear and atlatl videos on YouTube. Pretty distasteful and not what we need to be shown portraying how we are as hunters etc. I know people that think hunting with bow and/or rifle is distasteful so we should make them illegal as well? WTH makes this guy think that he has the right to decide what is tasteful and what is not? Tell your membership how they should think, not everyone else. I know of a fellow who used a spear on a bear – bit of a circus it ended up. Yeah, because everything always goes according to plan with a bow. My son in law has an atlatl (present from son David from ATBA Jamboree in Hinton) and I have used it. I have been to 2 ATBA Jamborees and seen lots of people using the atlatl – even watched the guy who makes/sells them demonstrating how they work etc. Are a fun thing but in this day and age not something I would promote/endorse as a hunting tool.
Re the last sentence highlighted......In this day and age who needs a bow to hunt with when rifles are available? Same logic IMO.

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-08-2014 at 01:11 AM.