View Single Post
Old 01-07-2022, 10:57 AM

Hunting is a 'sport' that exists at the pleasure of the public that does not hunt. Most people don't hunt but they vote. If they decide hunting is no longer an acceptable pursuit they will strop it.

A good example of what became unacceptable is listed above. Spear hunting bear. Another is running coyotes with dogs. That activity ended abruptly when some knob invited a tv crew out on a chase.

The point of all this is that we as hunters need to be careful of the image we present to the public who don't hunt. I once engaged in conversation with a Deputy Minister about a topic and I thought he needed to hear a hunters side of the argument (haha). He paused and said to me, "If all you hunters voted in one riding, you would have difficulty influencing the outcome of the vote." This is paraphrased but basically he told me to get lost.

Hunter numbers are minority numbers. There are not a lot of us. Politicians care about votes. Our influence is minimal. Acting up and engaging in behaviours that non hunters find objectionable doesn't do any of us any good.