View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdowncowtown View Post
True enough, it would be a pretty big loss to spend a lot of time and effort creating an opportunity only to have it wrecked by a bad partner. Climbing is a little more forgiving in that sense, easy to see how people handle themselves in a lower-stakes scenario before doing anything committing.

Really for the first season or two what I want to focus on learning is the pre and post work, scouting, tracking, getting land access, camera placement, field dressing, butchering etc. Just going out and shooting an animal doesn't hold much appeal to me if I don't have the skills and knowledge to reproduce the result independently.
I have actually had better luck mentoring rookies than hunting with “experienced” hunters

The biggest thing is finding people who are trustworthy, have drive, desire to have good ethics, willing to put in the work scouting and a personality that I can get along with when I choose to mentor someone

For myself I am not worried about losing an opportunity on an animal because of a rookie as I expect it. Usually the rookie give the opportunity because I know they need to learn. Also I don’t take a rookie on a hunt where the priority is filling my personal tag

I am picking about who I teach but a rookie should also be picky about who they learn from too because there is plenty of crappy mentors out there too

Odds are by your username name you are in Calgary so I am too far to be effective first hand help. But if you have an interest in targeting bush country Whitetail and have ?s regarding scouting, calling, habitat, and habits you are welcome to PM me. I will give my honest opinion and provide information on how but I don’t draw Xs on maps or tell people where to hunt

It’s not promising success but if you put in the work the extra knowledge can definitely increase your odds