View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
princess auto sells an 20-200 inch pounds wrench, $40
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ch/A-p2922045e
This and many similar torque wrenches have a rated range of 20-200 in/lbs and a rated accuracy of +-4%.
IMHE most measuring tools function best near the center of their rated range, and less well or accurately at both ends of their rated range.
In the case of micrometer 'click type' torque wrenches both the feel and accuracy at the minimum setting does not give me much confidence.
The quality control of most inexpensive China tooling is questionable at best. Is the rated accuracy measured at the maximum rated capacity? or is the +- 8 in/lbs the permissible variability at the minimum setting?
Most scope ring and mount screws are rated for <30 in/lbs and many are <20 in/lbs. A +- 8 in/lb accuracy on a 20 in/lb screw is a lot less than acceptable, (I consider my trained and experienced hands to be better than that).
All micrometer 'click type' torque tools (including very expensive ones) have several moving parts, and can suffer problems caused by poor quality manufacture and alignment, in addition to those of wear and lubrication.

Bending 'beam type' torque tools are very simple to manufacture, and have no moving or sliding part interfaces to be affected by alignment, wear or lubrication.
They are very visual and provide excellent feel and indication of nearness to intended torque.
They are VERY repeatable and accuracy is largely dependent on proper and consistent hand/finger position and force vector.
They are also cheaper and IMHE, MUCH more versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I note that this wrench does not even provide a +- rating for accuracy.

'Click type' torque wrenches excel in high volume and speed applications, and tolerate rougher handling.
(I have several, and like them very much, in their proper application).

Good Luck, YMMV.