View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
What I have found over the 20 plus years of shipping fur to nafa is that if you ship crappy fur, you get crappy grades. I have shipped what I believed to be great fur only to have graded lower than what I thought. It was the leather that was causing the down grade. I had a few bad catches and the leather was burned from the snares. Changed up my snaring equipment and it seemed help. As for overall fur quality in the area that I trap and snare in, it was down compared to other years. We had alot of shoulder mites. Out if all 65 i trapped only 2/3 went to auction due to the grozen being damaged from mites. The rest of the coyote was good but I sold them to others that have a use for the rest of the hide.
Yes , I understand what you are saying and have also shipped to NAFA for many years , it was interrupted by a brief stint of sending hides to FHA where I received 6 top lots for coyotes .. I was wooed back to NAFA by reports of local trappers receiveing higher prices and that has been the case until this auction and the poor grades . If I had gotten these grades in the first sale this year I may have understood it , as I didnt think those ones were that good compared to this second bunch . I'm not alone in this way of thinking as APA Shooter and I took hides into the depot together and both of us are unimpressed with the showing . I had 4 coyotes show up as Damaged IIIs.. I dont even skin that type and have no idea which of my hides they could be .