View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Arrow chew offs with the RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I see your using the 1/16 snare in your power rams. I’ve noticed an others have also noticed that there are more chew offs on the 1/16 compared to the 3/32 snares. Have discussed this with the snare shop and they also have heard this complaint. So after researching this problem with many trappers as well as manufacturers we have come to the agreement that the power ram is fraying the snare when set off. Because of this information I am using the the #4 3/32 replacement snare in my power rams. I have also added the 385lb brake away to release any deer that come along. This will be my third season using this set up and I have lost only 2 coyotes that I am sure of and have not killed a deer.
I agree with everyone who said its not as much a scent issue as it's visual.
Setting snares in areas that have been over-grazed by cattle versus a ungrazed bush makes a difference. Less natural cover exposes everything.

Yes, I'm using 1/16 cable on my Rams (wolfmaster model)
I've used this combination the last 4 years with very good success and wouldn't increase the cable size. The thinner wire is easier to hide.
I've had a few chew-offs occur when the caught coyote wrapped the cable around a tree before the ram was triggered. The tree prevented tension being placed on the cable and allowed the coyote time to chew the cable.
This chew-out would have occurred with any size of cable.

Thanks for the opinions !