View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Dec. 04 2011

First stand of the morning has Ryan and I set up in a pasture with a large bush patch that we hoped to pull a coyote or two out of. I start off with a couple howls and its not long before coyotes were challenge howling from the bush. I switched over to a distress call but that didn’t work so grabbed the howler again and gave some yelps which brought a big male on the run. A 125 yard shot from the 22-250 has coyote number 1 down, gave some more yelps but couldn’t pull any of the other coyotes out of the bush.

We then drove a couple miles to the river valley and set up with Ryan watching a ravine and myself watching the field.. Shortly after calling the breeze switched on us which screwed up any chance of bringing anything in so we packed up and drove down to the creek valley.
After parking the truck and walking almost a half mile, a coyote is spotted on the other side of the creek. With the help of binoculars we glass the coyote and when it drops into the creek channel we cover some ground so we can get set up on opposite ends of a knoll. Ryan starts off with distress cries and after a bit switches over to his howler. I hear a coyote return with challenge howls and with a bit of scanning I pick it up in the binoculars. The coyote is a long ways off but running straight towards us, only stopping to howl then back on the run. When it drops into the creek channel I lose sight of it and I’m anticipating where it might pop out at when I catch movement to my left. A different coyote is coming in but on our down wind side, it stops, then jumps up a couple times and I think it may have spotted me. I level the cross hairs on its chest and squeeze the trigger. The recoil jumps the scope off the coyote and I’m not sure if I got it or not but I don’t see it or any other coyotes on the move.
After a bit Ryan walks over and says even though he could not see the coyote, the shot sounded like a hit. A 237 yard walk confirms coyote number 2 was down.
We tried one more spot by a poultry farm but had no takers.