View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Dec.23

First spot I check out is a feed lot where I see two coyotes but they are already leaving, the direction they left never presented me a safe shot so I walked back to the truck and drove down to the creek valley. I walked in a quarter mile where I plan to set up when I see a coyote on its way back to the bush. I squat down and the coyote stops, looks my way, then decides I was no threat and started on its way again. I had the sun at my back and although the coyote heard me, it could not see me. One shot from the 20 Tactical and a 35 gr. Berger has it down. I like the spot and decide to call it after a ten minute wait. I start off with some Jackrabbit distress, then switched to Vole squeaks. A few minutes pass before I catch movement in the bush on the opposite side of the clearing. A coyote is working its way through the trees and I expect for it to appear soon. I glance to my right and see another coyote sniffing the coyote I shot. I slowly swing the rifle over to the last coyote but its now on a fast trot towards the caller, I barked a couple times to get the coyote to stop but he just kept coming. I knew I had to shoot soon or I would have some buck brush that would hide the coyote….. Long story short,, rushed the shot and missed what should have been an easy coyote. Called for bit longer but nothing else showed…. I was ticked at myself and packed up and got out of the area.

Next spot was overlooking the lake and I start off the caller with pup yelps. After a couple minutes I mute the call for a bit and then went back to yelps. The caller has played for no more than a half minute when I notice a coyote on its way across the ice. I am letting it close the distance and then see a coyote pop out the willows on my side. This coyote is trotting straight towards the one in the middle and I bark to stop it. The coyote stops and another 35 gr Berger finds its mark. The other coyote spins around and heads back to the safety of the other shore.