Thread: Devils Lake
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Default Monster perch

I was first introduced to Devil's Lake when I was about 14, some 37 years ago. Our first encounter occured in March when the weather was very warm and fishing at first was very slow. After some time, as a young person does, I lost interest and decided to build a snowman around mid day. When this feat was acomplished, my father suggested trying to fish a different area and I agreed and proceeded to punch a hole around 100 feet to the south and west from where we were fishing. As I dropped my line through the hole it was a matter of seconds before I had one on, lifting the fish to the hole posed no problem however while lifting it up the fish spit the hook and lay across the 6 inch hole. I was in shock for I never had seen such a large perch but with one flip it was back down to the deep. I was terribly distressed and almost in tears and remember my dad hollering "you can't count em till you put your foot on em". I rebaited and tried again and within a few seconds hooked up again, this time I brought the fish out and held it up for all to see, 13 inches around 1 1/2 pounds. We cleaned up that day around 60 fish total for the party all around the same size. I have fished there several times after but my dad had to show these around the bar that he frequented and after that the big ones were gone.