Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 11:28 AM
sheephunter

Unfortunately, predator control is a lot more complicated than just going and shooting a bunch of wolves. Wolves have complicated social structures and it's important to understand the pack before jumping in and killing them all. Some packs control very large territories and actually have little impact on ungulates compared to having three or four packs in the same territory. One of the dangers of wiping out a dominant pack is that it opens the door to several more packs moving in. It would take some coordination with SRD but it's not something they are unfamiliar with. They could actually do a very good job with it and have in the past in areas with caribou in Alberta. There is a lot understood about wolf control in Alberta, BC, NWT, Yukon and Alaska. The knowledge is there and it just needs to be put into action.

While wolves receive a lot of the blame, cougars are another very serious predator of sheep as has been documented in the Sheep River Sanctuary and Ram Mountain. Again, the systematic elimination of individual cats that prey primarily on sheep would help a lot. Again, it's something that SRD has done and is familiar with. Unfortunately, few cat men actually get into sheep winter range to hunt cats either because access is so difficult or regulations prevent them from hunting there. Again, all it would take is a little cooperation from SRD.

I'm not certain what role bears play on sheep mortality but on several occasions I have seen both blacks and grizzlies hunting sheep in lambing areas. Obviously grizzlies are off limits but why not let hunters hunt black bears in the mountains. Right now, the current seasons and access policies basically prevent bear hunting in sheep country in the south.

There is a lot could be done with predators but it would take some serious coordination with SRD to make it happen and to acheive the desired results. I can't see in hurting to ask! If we are looking at a serious increase in sheep population, however, a corresponding increase in winter range would likely be required. They kind of go hand in hand. It seems we are at our maximum carrying capacity in many areas now. Fire suppresion has not been kind to Alberta's ungulates.

Last edited by sheephunter; 02-15-2010 at 11:38 AM.