View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the opinion.

One mans junk is another man's treasure.

We own the land. It was a swamp 60 years ago. My grandfather dredged the swamp and made a pond. He also planted approx 150 acres of white pine, white spruce and red pine. The red oak he planted are approx 12-18" diameter and are now produsing good crops of acorns and the critters are reseeding them.

I've planted 30 pear trees on the property to compliment the 100's of wild crab apples and I've got a batch of oaks to plant as well to help them spread faster.

I've heard of using wooden skids and they break down and rot for brush piles. And then there are nails when you flush rabbits out for hunting with the kids

Let's keep this to a discussion of making brush piles. I wouldn't consider it trash if they are making habitat for the next 10000 years for small game and I put them there. If they fill solid with debris and become useless that would be a problem but I doubt that would happen and if it did, I would pull them out because I care about the property and if I had to pull them out after 50 years... I would probably just remake them!

I think they would make a great affordable base layer for the rabbits and other small animals to make homes in without having to always spend time fixing them and putting more brush on top. I love my wife and our boys but she doesn't always appreciate when I go into the woods when we are at the cottage with friends so I want to do it once.

Last edited by Jerry D; 11-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.