View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm thinking there will be some doozy's...I know we'll hook into some over 60lbs...just about getting them in the net!!

As for the sockeye it certainly is a weird situation. The run of Sockeye that goes to POrt Alberni was a good run this year...so that leads many to believe that it was isolated to the Fraser run and therefore many to believe fish farms etc etc. However, after doing some reading and research it seems like that wouldn't explain it due to the migration routes of the sockeye as well as other salmon species that are thriving...it is just a very weird situation....DFO really has no clue as to what the heck is going on with the salmon out in the open ocean...and in their defence it is certainly a hard situation to understand.

I'm hoping this is a one year thing...and DFO's predictions are questionable at best...this year the Chinook run was only supposed to be slightly better than last when in fact for many places along the coast, even Campbell River (fish farm central) it was the best year in over 15 years...so who freakin' knows really....I just take it year by year and do my best not to get my hopes up...although the predictions for the next 3-4 years look amazing...so its hard not to...especially with all the juvies heading out to sea this past couple years...let's hope the conditions out there are good for them and they come back in hoards!!