View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 12:43 AM

Had to stock up the bait stash so we hit the canal after skateboard practice with a bit of bread and some small hooks. I chummed them up with the crab shells from the crabs we pulled out of the traps this morning and then kept them around with bread.

I’ll give them the night in a cold heavy brine with some extra salt and sodium bicarb to firm them up and keep them looking lifelike. They’re a little smaller then what I prefer for offshore work on billfish but these little ones are the ticket for mahi mahi and tuna and the quality is much better then what I can buy. As they keep growing I’ll get some of the bigger models, they spawned last winter (July) and I think these are the juvenile fish.

Jack&7

My boat is a 21’ cruisecraft which is an Aussie brand. They’ve got horrible trailer rules over here where we can tow a max of 2.5m wide so the beam on most American boats puts it over sized to trailer here. I’m running the 150 Zuki on the back, top speed is 44 knots with a pair of men and full load of fuel. This trip was 140 NM so 260km and I burned 88 litres of fuel, I’ve been very impressed with the outboard. The boat itself weighs 1800 kg dry. I’ve got lowrance, Garmin and furuno Sounders on it and the outriggers are 4.6m mounted up top off the rocket launcher. I bought it last December and have put around 300 hours on the outboard and probably 4-500 hours on the water. I’m running Shimano tyrnos overhead trolling reels because I didn’t have the money for tiagras. I’ve got a couple Saragossa spinning reels for pitching slugs and my jigging rods are wearing avet overheads. I’ve also got the little 2500 Stradic for catching bait and squid. I’m a member of the local fishing club but I’m not playing the points game or fishing the tournaments because I don’t want to use light tackle and to get points with the 50lb line I use (heavy tackle) I have to catch everything in 200+ meters of water. All of my fishing is less then 130m so that puts me out of the game. Having just left Alberta a year and a half ago I’m still learning the ropes for big game fishing but putting in the effort and having fun trying.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 11-04-2020 at 12:53 AM.