View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 08:59 PM

Well this round of days off was meant to include a Hervey Bay trip. The day before I came home the cooks in camp changed out and the day cook is from Hervey Bay. He said the Merlin were not there yet.
Last Tuesday I went to the monthly Sunshine Coast game fishing club (SCGFC) meeting. There had been several boats fishing up in the bay and nobody had seen a marlin. To add insult to injury NOBODY in the club caught a marlin in September anywhere. Only one was caught in august and nothing caught in July either.

They did show the leader board and the champion boat under 7.5m had one billfish to his name back in August. So they announce he’s still the leader for September and here’s your check. I didn’t know they handed out checks but they do… and it’s $1000 a month to the lead boat which makes it worth winning cause that’s a months worth of fuel.
They also clued me into a junior tournament that I can put Nolan in for free and the juniors play all year with prizes and trophies up for grabs. So I enrolled Nolan into that one and he can play it simultaneously on a national level as we play within the SCGFC as both anglers and for the boat.

Then Rosi went for an overnight trip to Hervey Bay and came back yesterday. He didn’t see a billfish either so I’m going to wait until my next days off to go up there.

Porter and I do want to fish so we are going to head wide from here tomorrow to see what we find. Rumour has it the current is pushing 25+ deg water past us approx 40 miles out. (Another thing I want to point out once is I’m talking nautical miles. Not “miles”. So when I say 40 miles out I mean 74 km cause the conversion is 1.85km/nm). So we will head for the shelf and give it a try. Expectations are very low and the wind isn’t very good but it’s been to long without a good boat ride.

The good news is the gar are back in the canal and the kids and I have been putting them in the freezer as fast as we can. Based on last year I need about a thousand of them before they leave again. Last year they were here from October-December so I’ve got three months to make a years worth of bait.

I’ll throw an update tomorrow. Right now my beer is empty and I need to swim before I crack another one.