View Single Post
Old 10-28-2022, 09:33 PM

Well it’s been a long winter. Double hernia surgery, a trip back to the old country to spread the old man’s ashes and have his funeral, one lone trip up north and way to many 3/1 hitches because we can’t find enough staff.

I also got enough motivation to teach myself how to fix glass and flow coat. I decided the dash wasn’t going to work for me anymore and ripped everything out, filled the holes and replaced some of the equipment.

It looked like this

Then I added another hole for a second sounder

Then I filled it all in

Now I’ve got a little work left but I want to beat it on the ocean for a day to make sure no cracks appear before I give it a final skim coat and sand it all back/ cut and polish/ wax and apply the new stickers and stereo that I bought.

I’ve also got a riser built and sanded that will raise the top of the sounder approx 1.5” and leave the bottom where it is. I want it tipped up a bit so it’s easier to read when I’m sitting down. I’ll probably glass that in next winter but I will finish the flow coat very soon.

I also picked up seven new tiagra 30’s and one talica for pitching live baits.

I got a 80W for deep dropping swords and high speed trolling on the way out. Might take it and a few of its friends north one year for the heavy hitters too. Damn they’re big

This little fella holds 450m of 50lb braid for size comparison.

The little girl and I got out last break twice for gar and managed to put 140 of them in the freezer. It’s not enough but it’ll do for now.

We got 16” of rain last week so the waters so dirty I can’t catch them right now. Try again in a week or two once it’s flushed out again.

I started building carbon fiber gaffs over the winter too. I couldn’t find what I wanted on the market so I built a few. Might be a few things I’ll change on future models but these look like they’ll work for now.

Now it’s about two weeks early here on the local but porter and I are going to head out tomorrow and kick this season off. Idk if anything’s around, haven’t asked and don’t care. Going to go out and dust off the cobwebs, share a few laughs and drink a few beer. Summer showed up a couple days ago with mid 30 deg temps and not a cloud in the sky. Laying in the beach today it’s calm out there for a change and tomorrow is supposed to be the same.

Later next week Nolan and I will head to Hervey Bay for three days if the weather holds. Looks like Thursday though Saturday for the micro blacks. Going to try them on 4kg line this year.

I’ll post up how tomorrow went when we get back.