View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
If you are going to use it to float around on the pothole lakes then you don't have to go so expensive. You wouldn't buy a Lambourgini to go pick up groceries every day. If you are planning on a float trip down the Amazon then I would tend to the more expensive side.

$300 and $1200 seem to be both ends of a large price range. You may be getting a good deal - mine cost about $600 - $700 and I love it and trust it. They have made a lot of improvements in workmanship and materials in the last 20 years or even 10 years.

You made a good decision to ask what kind of experiences other people here have had. I would tend to listen more to the people who have actually had one than those others who just love there own. It is like religion, politics, and women (or men to be PC)
Curiously, water kills no matter where found. A decent boat reduces the odds.
As I've used pontoon boats for a while, I've experienced the following problems on decent equipment.
I've had 2 frame failures when using aluminum frames. My present pontoon boat is composed of parts representing what wore out and what was a decent replacement. The new parts include Outcast 800 tubes, Outcast 9IR frame, Bucks Bag Seat, two Bucks Bag gear bags, Scadden side pockets, Chineses Oars ( would have liked Carlisle but couldn't find them in Canada) divers fins bought in 1972 c/w new heel straps, anchor made from tire lead weights, transport wheel my design, anchor rope from CDN Tire. I guess that 90>100 days/year wears out stuff.
But what do I know about Costco boats - not much and ain't prepared to learn. Got fishing left to do. Drowning doesn't take long but does reduce the fishing time.

Don