Thread: Boar
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Default Hunting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I have been lucky enought to anchor a few...its almost always an opportunity rather than a hunt specifically for boars.

They are for the most part nocturnal and move to feed or water late, last 30 minutes of daylight, unless its extremely hot and they will go to water, or extremely cold and they need to feed.

here are a few pictures of some of the ones I've harvested over the past several years. Including my biggest last spring while bear hunting.
If you are going to try and locate them muskeg seems to be a key winter habitat, watch for their trails to feed in deep snow will make them use the same trail as they are low to the ground, also they will walk around obstacles rather than hop over as a deer would. look for ground that is torn up, they will turn over cereal crops and eat the roots after harvest, bale stacks and siliage piles are also favorites in winter. once you find them, set up down wind of a trail, and sit til dark. Once you shoot at them with a rifle...they will disappear for a few days from the report of the gun, very smart. Bow or crossbow might allow for multiple opportunities.

Last edited by Stumpslayer; 12-17-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: addition point