View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I sold my HDS-5 and moved to the Lowrance HDS-8 with the insight software package and all I can say is WOW! You can see all the "secret" halibut humps off Vancouver Island at a glance. I went 20 miles in a light fog out of Tahsis this summer using the GPS when I wouldn't have left the dock otherwise. It will run radar, weather satellite, steering, boat gages and now even your iPod. Digital broadband sonar is equal to 30,000 watts RMS. I'm saving my pennies to get the Structurescan add-on next. Nice thing about the HDS-5 is that it's every bit as powerful as the 10 inch model. IMHO, Get the biggest HDS that your wife will let you. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the unit and I've ordered "Doc Samson's" in depth HDS DVD out of the States to learn more. He also has a software package called "Dr Depth" that will let you make your own HD structure maps of your favorite hot spots. I may get that at some future point as well. There is a 50 dollar rebate on the HDS-5 from Lowrance and Wholesale has 5% off all fishfinders right now which BP and the fish'n hole will no doubt match. That works out to nearly a hundred bucks off so if you are in the market for a fishfinder, now is a good time to get one.

whats that worth?