View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Default Terrible group at 200 yards

I have been hunting for 12 years now but due to my hunting style I rarely shoot past 100 yards. Lately I have been shooting my .22 a lot ,working on my form, and I finally got to the range today. I have a rugar m77 in .270 that I have used since I was 15. I normally shoot handloads but I haven't had a chance to get to my dads to make any up for a while. I picked up a couple boxes of cheap federal 130gr rounds to do a bit of practice. I shot the first box and a half at 100 yards and was feeling pretty good. These factory loads were shooting about an inch low and an inch to the left. Almost all of my 3 shot groups were under an inch. I decided to shoot the last 10 rounds at 200 yards. I wasn't expecting any spectacular results since I have never really practiced at that range but I thought I would do alright. My friend had started shooting his .22 so instead of going and checking how I did every few shots I thought I would let him keep shooting and just shoot a 10 round group at the center of my target. I shot the last 10 rounds slow enough to make sure my barrel wasn't heating up too bad and focused on my form as much as I could. All my shots felt good except for one or two where I could tell I jerked the trigger slightly. When I went to check how I did I couldn't believe how bad it was. Only four of the 10 shots even hit the paper and they were spread out about 6 inches. I believe it was 10 inches from the center of the target to the bottom and the four shots that hit were right along the bottom. I was expecting to shoot about 5 inches low but not 9. Could this problem be me or would it be something with my setup? I'm going back tomorrow, is there anything you guys would suggest I try?