View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
I do ask, whether or not you do approve of some sort of small control. Education, waiting periods, etc. personally, I believe that at some point education and proof of competency without a criminal record is enough. I throw out other ideas of control as a suggestion or conversation piece to see what's there however with other items we as a society have restricted (vehicle operation comes to mind) education and proof of competency remain my preferred methods.
If it were up to me, I'd leave at a gun safety course. If there is to be a registry, it should only be a registry of the hyenas. A registry of people, not things. We have enough laws already. If your name's not on the hyena list, you can buy whatever you want. I don't know that I would urge my notions on anyone, though. If my notions cannot be supported by fact and data, then I would not want to see it become law any more than the ideers of a Gun Zombie.

I was in a store in Alaska not long ago. The old cuss behind the counter was wearing a 1911 on his hip. He felt safer, I am sure. I know I did. BTW, we got to talking and the old bugger owns 300 firearms....some of them collector Winchesters. I'd like to have seen them.

Quote:
To come along with this idea, to further explain my idea of slogans and weak arguments (none found in your posts btw, I just want to be clear on why and what I'm mentioning) the first knee jerk reaction can be found in a post in this thread and other. It's usually around the line of "if you're for gun control, you're along side of these dictators." or something similar.

Instead of saying these slogans, the catch phrases of guns don't kill people, all the normal things, I'd prefer reasonable discourse. Truth is, there's a kernel of truth in them, but people have heard them so many times it's a joke to most. Growing up in a church environment, the first words out of people's mouths when tragedy struck was always "god has a plan". After hearing that or any other cliche, no matter how well intentioned, it loses it's meaning and sincerity. When cliches form the crux of your argument, I think you just might have lost.
I understand your point but I think you also understand that there is truth in those pro-gun clichés. As for the rest, I honestly don't know. I have put in many hundreds of hours reading studies, reading the references footnoted in studies, reading the the writings of others, researching the Kookier types, etc. and I have no easy answers. Sometimes, the bullshyte seems so deep and so thick that I think non-verbal communication is appropriate.

I am absolutely convinced, however, that whatever powers of persuasion and whatever depth of knowledge each of us has, we need to resolutely draw a hard line. Of that, I am certain. We are dealing with opponents who are insatiable and who are driven to control and dominate. Guns are only part of their menu. We cannot give an inch. Not one inch. It is much too hard to win back ground that was lost.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. C.S. Lewis

(I am a big C.S. Lewis fan.)

Quote:
Personally, I appreciate the information and the direction towards that study. I also appreciate the honest conversation. Save for a few posts, this has been a productive discussion.
Indeed it has.

I think you may enjoy this article and - perhaps - add it to your library. It partly explains why I draw a hard line and hope to convince many others to do the same. It's about so much more than guns.....

http://www.nrapublications.org/index...r-happen-here/