Thread: Bass? Alberta?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
yup we have very limited amounts of water bodies in Alberta so lets introduce more species so we can divide it up further.

maybe it works out maybe it doesnt. I dont think its worth the risk. Dont have to travel that far to get to them anyway. And it makes for a nice trip!

PS - I like fishing for them also!
Your thinking about lakes. Look at our drainage basins. We have a large number of rivers i this province that would be, if we did not introduce any species athabasca rainbows, bull trout, lake sturgeon and for the sake of arguement northern pike. The rest were put into our rivers in the early 1900s if i remember correctly. and those fish have adapted very well in our rivers. what is affecting our rivers is not species related as to pollution. I mean yes, in some instances there is conflict but you see that more in the lakes than in the rivers.
You have to remember also that its not just humans adding unwanted fish into other habitats, its birds, mammals. they deposit eggs from one body of water to another so we get this happening naturally as well.
When biologists pick a lake to introduce a new species into it, there is a lot of research that goes into it, they dont just do it and see how it unfolds. I have no problem with them introducing grass carp, or small mouth bass into island lake. why not? do you know how many people fish in this province? lets face it, without re-introductions and introducing new species of fish into the ecosystem there wouldnt be any fish left. thats not to mention winter kill as well. so when you say you are against it, you are also saying you are against putting fish back into a lake that winter killed because the native fish have all but died. so it would be a non-native batch that would be added.
I agree with you to a certain extent, that mixing certain species in a lake is stupid. mixing perch and rainbows for example. im against that. what ends up happening is the perch eat the rainbow eggs and because of the sharp spine on the perch's dorsal area the rainbows choke on the fish or it kills the rainbow if they try to eat it. All in all, I completely disagree, to a certain point.