View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Not Funny

Don,
I have to say this closure business has been creepy. When I read TUC's position I see "best available science," and a bunch of caveats. This means the science is weak - we know that. The whole thing is rushed and I'm not at all interested in being excluded from angling areas where I'm certain I have a minimal impact or even a positive impact. I agree with most of TUC's caveats, but they aren't enforceable. TUC is selling anglers short as stewards of the resource. Got to think about that a bit. What can I do for native species. I can educate the public, participate in research, report poachers, report habitat violations, pressure government, improve habitat, deflect angling pressure (stocked lakes) and remove exotics species. When you decrease angling opportunities you decrease anglers and/or angler interest. Both you and I have done nearly all these things under the TUC banner and I expect that you have likely done more than anyone else in the province to protect/enhance fisheries resources. Do I feel betrayed, you bet... they should represent the people who got them there a lot better than that. There are many options that are not being put on the table. Agreeing to the closures as they are laid out is weak. Very disappointing.

Dean