View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Banned

About one month ago I boated two 10.5 lb walleyes, and numerous smaller, using a Superlite PT and PT Energy10 spincaster, borrowed from and set up for a right hander,
9' X 6lb fluro leader and barbless size 12 hook and leech. Never "Lindy rigged" before. Worked so well I bought that combination later that night! Set it up for a lefty.

A #12 hook is tiny and the law provided for the barbless look because of the slot size mandated by the regulations.

No one can tell me that barbless hooks lose fish. During the two days of the Vanity Cup nearly 2 tons of fish were weighed and released. Probably close to that weight in slot sized fish that never got weighed. All on barbless hooks! Never mind how many were landed in the five days of pre-fishing. Our boat alone handled 30 or 50 walleyes.

Having said that, all of my lures and hooks get the pinch treatment before it goes into the box. I replace most of the trebles with either single barbless or with red triple grip trebles, again barbless. Bulk hooks get pinched before they get snelled. Never sweat it when the F&W shows up. In any jurisdiction.

I also recall (70's?80's?) that PantherMartin was including a single barbless hook in their packaging for the spinners. You could change them out if you happened to be going to B.C. to fish. Alberta and to some extent Saskatchewan (c&r fisheries) are now barbless also, and I rarely see barbless hooks for sale anymore.

Free