Thread: Barbless Hooks
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
This has little to do with agreeing with the law. It has to do with having undefined standards in regards to barbless hooks and officers seemingly being very eager to enforce their personal standard on someone trying to comply with the law. Furthermore, it has to do with the same type of officer taking these actions while other, more harmful actions (blatant poaching, sustenance netting for the purpose of sale (or waste)) against our fisheries receive inadequate attention.

The situation is analagous to a mountie pulling someone over and writing them up for going 101 kph in a 100 kph zone while people doing 140kph speed by.

If you believe that the OP was somehow not respecting fish or fisheries, you need to think again.
Please forgive me and my naivety, I was under the impression that the law had defined the standard for a barbless hook… either it is functioning or it is not, I didn’t think it was possible to be almost pregnant… I really like the suggestion that I can use a line to run it over the barb to see if I have pressed it down enough.

I seem to remember reading a statistic somewhere that depending on the type of fish, 8 to 30 percent of all caught and released fish die after being released. It was reported that the number of dead fish increased if they were caught with a barbed hook and increased even more if caught during ice fishing and were exposed to the cold for any length of time. Apparently their eyes freeze very quickly and they eventually starve to death because they cannot see their prey. I’m not sure I buy that but whatever… I guess the question I have is how many people were fishing in Alberta this past weekend? How many fish were caught and released? I will just throw out a number to make math easy, let’s say 3000 fish. At that number between 240 to 900 fish died after they were released, according to the study anyway… Maybe the study was wrong, maybe it was less or more, I don’t know. That is a lot of fish!!! What if we could get that number even lower by ensuring that everyone used nothing but hooks that meet the requirement of the law?? How many fish were killed legally??? I know that my friends and I took 45 perch…

As for the more harmful actions, I didn’t realize that was going on this past weekend, sorry, like I said I am new to this. Do you think there were 240 to 900 fish illegally caught in nets? WOW that is just crazy!! Do the officers know where this is happening? If they don’t, why has nobody reported it to them? Was this going on around the area where the officers were working?

I guess respect for the fisheries is a relative thing, the poacher look at is as a way to make money, the office looks at it how…? One comment seemed to elude it is a way to make money for SRD (which everyone knows is ridicules because they get no funds from the tickets they write). Who has the biggest impact on the fish? Netters? Poachers? Fisherman? I would really like to know your thoughts… Just Curious…