Thread: Barbless Hooks
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM

HA HA HA... it seems I have stirred the pot a bit by not jumping on the bandwagon and agreeing with everyone else!! I don't know about you, but some may say that creating thought instead of negativity is a good thing.

I must agree with VG… so many places in the world that were once paradises, are now wastelands. I am told that Alberta has a few, including those mentioned by VG. I have not read the law, but maybe the words “completely removed” needs to be there.

Douggie55 did mention something about a “Judge” scolding an officer… was that F&W or CO, DFO, Stream Watch, CPS, EPS? What level of court was that? Where did this happen? What experience did the “Judge” have with fishing? Is the term “Judge” used generically here to refer to any person who sits at the bench in a court room? Much like CO is used generically to refer to a wide range of people employed by the government who may or may not work with the resource? Was it even a “Judge” or simply a clerk of the court who passed a test that allowed them to hear traffic tickets? Maybe the “Judge” was actually a lawyer who sits on the bench once in a while and had received a ticket for a barbed hook and didn’t think he deserved it either? There is so much to each of these stories that we don’t know.

I must say however that I have no case to prove and have not made up my mind about anything… maybe Wulfespirit is right, maybe I don’t belong on here. I don’t seem to take what others say at face value… I don’t like to bitch and complain about how someone has not done their job properly and I don’t think that the officer is trying to ruin my day when I get checked fishing, even when I get a ticket for having a couple of beer on the ice (my fault and I paid the ticket thank you very much). And I appreciate when someone provides me a method of self checking my hooks (thank you Valve God for posting that). As for laws that I like or dislike??? I don’t have feelings one way or the other, if a law does not seem to meet the needs of the people it should be changed by the people. I understand that Alberta has recently had a cabinet change, perhaps a change to the regulations should be made… do you think that everyone would be legal then? Would 6 or 7 more years have to pass before the fishermen of Alberta start complying with that law?