View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM

There are so many to choose from.

My advice to a buddy of mine, also new to hunting was to pick from 270Win, 30-06, or 308Win. I suggested these 3 only because they are all very popular and probably account for half or maybe as much as two thirds of the rifles used for hunting. Another reason for suggesting these 3 cartridges was the availability of ammo at any sporting goods retailoers or other shops like CDN Tire, Wal Mart, some hardware shops, and even gas stations located in hunting country.

All 3 will knock down any animal on the continent and have done so for many years.

30-06 - A classic. Wide variety of bullet weights to choose from. Probably the most popular of the 3. Some models may give a bit of kick but even this is relatively minor compared to some of the popular magnums out there. I shoot a lightweight 30-06 that does not seem to have any recoil.

270 Win - Always mentioned after someone suggests the 30-06. A bit lighter recoil. Flat shooter, great for open country. Of the 3 choices, this is my personal favourite for deer and the occassional elk. Limited only be the selection and availability of bullet weight.

308 Win - Low recoil and a good game stopper. One of the most popular for long range shooting. Fits into a short action receiver so the overall weight of the rifle can be reduced.

There are many great cartridges/rifle combinations.