View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
For tight groups, I am a fan of higher magnification. See detail, shoot small. And, magnification is really handy if the wind is swtchy where a hold off of a .2” might be necessary to coax a bullet to follow one you sent earlier.
Once again, I'm not arguing with what works for you. But for me the turning point was when I put Lyman peep sight on an old .308 pump carbine I used to own. On a good day I could shoot groups at 100 yards with that rifle nearly as tight as I could with many of my scoped rifles... of course by 200 yards I was lucky to keep the groups around 6" with that gun

I remember one day I was shooting that gun at the GP range, next to me was a guy shooting handloads through a long range tactical looking thing. I got the impression it wasn't going as well as he would have liked. When we went to check our targets he commented, rather surprized, at how tight it was grouping, you know... considering my crappy rifle and all... when I told him those were my fouling shots he got a little sulky.

These days I don't think I have anything more powerful than a 2-7x on a hunting rifle. At anything resembling normal hunting ranges I find a 2-7 more than sufficient.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-15-2018 at 07:15 PM.