View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
Nope. All of my friends either drink or smoke hard and everything in the NWT is dedicated to alcohol only. I don’t ... feel right in a room with people who have hardcore drinking issues because it isn’t the same.

I feel like I minimize their suffering and can’t relate to it.

I am pretty much on my own here.
Hey thirty-30, takes guts to do what you just did on this forum but if I were you I would redefine what a friend is...! Although my issues do not appear as severe as yours are, I quickly realized who my true friends were or weren't when I quit drinking 40 years ago...…..it is going to be tough, temptations will always be near and it doesn't help if your friends consume both products you're trying to avoid.

I spent many a night alone away from temptations usually in the woods just so I didn't cave. It will get tougher before it gets easier but if you hang in there you will reach a point where it gets easier...….a lot of rapids to shoot on the journey though. I did it solo...…..that is not recommended for everyone and there are support systems out there. But I firmly believed if I wasn't committed enough to quit, no support system would help me...…...I'm not saying that's right, it was just what I used to motivate me when the going got tough.

Good luck and there are huge benefits to you once you complete this journey......