Thread: #1 Boating Rule
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwalleye View Post
The jerk can also be ther person in distress maybe the person who just drive past had a bad experience helping someone. I will always stop and help especially on a river but last year I had a experience heading back up river and seeing two guys waving from a boat drifting down river. They had no anchor and no paddles and ran out of gas in their new jet boat. I towed them to shore to get them out if their uncontrollable drift down river.

At this point what do we do ? We are 36 km from the boat launch down river I gave them the GPS location and told them they should call a friend to come down with some gas but they didn't know anyone with a jet boat I told them they could join us fishing for a few hours since I came all that way down and that's what we were all there for anyways after that I would run one guy up they could fill up with gas cans and ill bring one guy back. This would cost myself about 70 bucks in fuel to do this but I didn't mind to help out telling them this I expected they would have no problem and even offer to pay my fuel for helping.

Instead they demanded I tow them back up 36 km to the boat launch and I must help them do this they said we have your boat numbers you tow us or were calling the RCMP for leaving us stranded. Well that was the end of my day for fishing a total loss 5 hours later I was able to tow the 20 foot jet boat with my smaller jet only 8 km the river was to shallow and his boat to heavy to get us both up on plane many times having to walk the boats up in spots. After 8 km we were next to the hiway I told them now you can call a friend to bring gas right to you guys I'm not spending 2 days towing them another 30 km I'm almost out of gas myself now.

It was a 100 yard walk to the hiway with full cell service I told them I'm not towing anymore and left before I'm stuck without gas when I got to the boat launch the RCMP were waiting for me the guys I helped called 911 said they were in distress and I had left them to die. The RCMP were waiting for fish and game to bring a jet boat to go help them I told them I got them to the hiway you don't need a jet boat just take them gas to the spot on the hiway I gave them the GPS for. They asked me to wait at the boat launch until they get back because they want to hear the others guys side of the story but I just left when they did.
I think you did right, I would have told them, either you take the ride for the gas or I will let someone know where you are. You got them to shore and offered to help, your off the hook. You don't have to baby sit these jerks. I would guess the RCMP thought the same or they would have gotten back to you.