View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I am planning to take my boat to Prince Rupert this summer. This will be my fourth trip and every time I go I come away with more questions. Here are a few and i would appreciate any help you can give.
How do you decide between herring or anchovie?
When you use herring, is it whole,cutplug or strip?
How do you decide on flasher or dodger?
How do you decide on flasher color?
How do you decide on leader length?
Do you use downrigger cable angle to judge trolling speed when the tide is running?
I probaby have 1000 questions where these came from so tell me when you get tired of answering.

Thanks
Here's some answers that'll help ya out...

Decision between herring and anchovy is based on what bait fish is in the area...if needlefish (sandlance) go for anchovy, if herring or pilchard, go for herring.

I'd go flasher 99% of the time, but I'm bias as that's all I use, when it comes to flasher colour I will always start off with an ol' betsy on one side and either a green/gold or red/gold on the other...one thing I do that I hadn't heard of many others doing is after you catch your first fish, look at its back and the colors on its back...quite often you'll see either a dark green (stick to green) or purple/red's etc...I always try to match the back... as you know fish travel in schools so chances are many of the other fish in the area will have similar backs.

Leader length, for Chinook, always go for 5-7ft.

Speed, with 12lb balls, using braided downrigger line, want a 45 degree angle for trolling anchovy...works like a charm...regardless of tide strength as if you're going against the tide you'll be moving over ground slower but remember the tide is making your bait turn as well, so speed over ground is not important...all about how the bait is being pushed under water and angle of downrigger wire indicates that.

best of luck
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast