View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I suspect for a number of people this survey is bunk, I’ve talked to a number of people who have said they shot animals at some pretty lon distances. In several of the cases they said they killed elk and deer at like 6,700 yards. Few holes to the stories in many cases, talk about placing the crosshairs on the spine, not using a rangefinder and this was the estimated distance. Anyone who has actually shot at ranges like that knows how much their bullet drops and how exact the distance needs to be to what you’re shooting for or you will miss.
I agree with this comment about this survey being bunk! I have talked to a number of people who have said they shot animals at 600 -700 yards. Many of these guys at the gun range while we are shooting at the 400 yard gongs and they think they are 600 yards. Btw, these same guys never hit the 400 yd gong even once from the bench and can't hit the 200 yard gong from any real life hunting rest positions, prone, knee, butt etc!

I have not taken an animal within any of the parameters set out in the survey, all less than 300 yds in 30 years of hunting. Could I have shot at huge whitetail bucks at 500, 600 or even 700yds... yes, but I never even considered taking that shot. Even though I can hit long distance gongs from the bench with consistency, but hunting conditions and rests are different than the bench plain and simple.

Last edited by abhunter8; 02-09-2018 at 04:24 PM.