View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I agree with this comment about this survey being bunk! I have talked to a number of people who have said they shot animals at 600 -700 yards. Many of these guys at the gun range while we are shooting at the 400 yard gongs and they think they are 600 yards. Btw, these same guys never hit the 400 yd gong even once from the bench and can't hit the 200 yard gong from any real life hunting rest positions, prone, knee, butt etc!

I have not taken an animal within any of the parameters set out in the survey, all less than 300 yds in 30 years of hunting. Could I have shot at huge whitetail bucks at 500, 600 or even 700yds... yes, but I never even considered taking that shot. Even though I can hit long distance gongs from the bench with consistency, but hunting conditions and rests are different than the bench plain and simple.
Well said. Many long range stories are just that. Stories. There are some who
have the skills to make some pretty long shots under the right conditions. And many more who just claim to be able to. There seem to be a lot of people who don’t realize how bleeping far a 600 yard shot is under most field conditions.