View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 12:03 AM

The comments which point out what your rifle can do from the bench versus any hunting situation/rest position you choose, and the difference in accuracy even a pretty accomplished shooter is significant. 300 yards at the range, off the bench with a solid rest, at 3"-4" might look closer to double or triple that in the field - which puts that same shot close to or even into the "no go" category for most guys at ranges even a smidge beyond that in a hunting situation.

I don't have any issue shooting paper at 400+ yards - but it would be very unlikely I'd take that shot in the field unless I had nearly ideal conditions, lots of time to range and properly rest the weapon.

The other thing some of these fairly tale spinners miss, thinking joe average shooter like me, who has done a fair amount of actual shooting knows, is that unless you can accurately range your target a +/- of even 40-50 yards at those 400+ ranges, for most cartridges might mean a completely clean miss - so the stories of Johnny the hero, making a clean kill at 450-500 yards without the use of any range finder is likely as credible as something that spouts out of Trump's mouth.

I won't even get into wind - which is another issue altogether.

I guess my point is - YES, I agree, more fairy tales than realities spun about these long range hunters. Anyone who has done any shooting, and has attempted these ranges in hunting type positions and situations know, even with great optics and an outstanding weapon, it's pretty darn tough.

Last edited by EZM; 02-10-2018 at 12:09 AM.