View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM

In the 2 areas I hunt, there apear to be no shortage of WT's.
In one area, I likely will not be taking a doe, as it seems to me like there is an unusually high number of spotted fawns, that will still need moms help to make it through...so IN this area I'll focus on something with antlers.
I have no idea how to score on the fly, so my rule here will be...if it's a buck, it's in the truck. And de-boned and in the freezer within hours. TThe antlers, no matter the size will go to the pup, he loves them.

The other area, is again thick with WT's, so this is where my supp tags will be used...not seeing any fawns as young as I mentioned in the other area on my cams in this area, so I'll be looking for mature does, without the young ones in tow. That having been said, I wonder if it's because the wolves take down more fawns in this area, while in the other, there are no wolves? Just a thought.

On the subject of supp tags, I can't remember the last time I filled all 3...I just don't have the freezer space, so I usually go with 1 and 1. But...last year I bow hunted exclusively...so I ended up with none and none, lol.

I hunt for meat for sure, a nice rack is a great adreniline rush once in a while, but it in no way defines me as a hunter.
As a wise man one typed "you can't eat horns...theyre too tough".