View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 PM

Plenty of ways to tame perceived or felt recoil. Lighter bullets, recoil pads, brakes, different stocks, mercury reducers, pads, pad spacers for LOP, form, better ear muffs. I haven't used a brake or mercury reducer yet on my stuff.
I turfed my 450-400 this year, as I had my fun with it, it was a bit nasty till I changed the recoil pad, then I went to a lighter bullet at the same speed and it was quite shootable after that. But, it was more than I wanted to put up with as a plinker. Never once had an issue with my 338WM in a KS Mtn rifle, 1885 in 300H&H is heavy enough that is is as nice as the 338 was. I can shoot my 12ga SXS with a wood buttplate all day and 3" rounds without getting sore, I had a pad added this year, then it was even nicer to shoot.. I noticed quite a difference in shooting a new A300 this year, it was actually not as pleasant as the SXS to shoot. Little Merkel K1 in 7mag is a muzzle jumper with 160gr loads, shoulder is fine though, 140's settle the muzzle somewhat, but, it still wants to jump. Put a spacer and a new pad on the 30R Blaser SXS, haven't shot it yet since doing that, should be better yet, never was an issue anyway, just wanted a bit more length, we'll see. May pull the spacer to get it to fit in the hardcase again though.